Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Video Game Journalism

I have been studying journalism since September and it has been an interesting challenge to say the least. One take away if how I look at things now for example Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty were video game journalists I followed for years on the popular site IGN. They worked there for years and last year they quit and started their own company with two video producers who also left IGN. Now I lack an actual interesting in video games to go as far as to say I would like to be a journalist following it but on a recent episode of Colin and Greg's Playstation podcast a emailer asked how to get into video game journalism and some interesting things came up.

Colin and Greg no longer see themselves as journalists in the industry they are instead critics or personalities for a lack of a better term. With places like Game Trailers and other outlets closing down they noted that it seems video game journalism is changing people are no longer seeking big websites for reviews but instead these personalities rule the space.

Not to say sites like Kotaku, one of the few video game websites I would describe as journalism, are going away but instead the internet has changed the landscape for those interested in video game journalism. Instead of writing a detailed piece about a game people would rather just watch someone play the game to get to understand it and better yet they want to watch a personality they feel they can know.

I think this is an interesting trend as major video game journalist like a Colin Moriarty or a Jim Sterling who had a trusted name are instead seeing the success of streamers and thinking "Man I can combine what they do with what I do then maybe I could work for myself and make more money."

Here is a link to the email and episode of PS I Love You XOXO which sparked this post.
https://youtu.be/VjvjrffhXYk?t=1h24m19s

No comments:

Post a Comment