Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Journalists vs Critics

Online journalism has created a strange thing for me because in a lot of senses I feel somehow online journalist have also become reviewers which for me always sounds like such a cool job but having done a lot of thinking about what it means to be a journalist I wonder how come there isn't a bigger distinction between journalists and critics online when it comes to reviews.

Why are people who have to look in depth at the production of a video game or a movie also be the ones who review those things?

I feel with online journalism a lot of lines get blurred and maybe it is because in the world of online journalism those writers blur those lines themselves. Imagine I finish my current studies and blog movie reviews and ultimately get a job at a IGN Movies for example. I really wouldn't feel equipped from studying journalism to be a reviewer or a critic and it always fascinated me how journalists commonly get these types of jobs. Not to say I would turn one down that's a dream job for almost anyone but I feel my degree in English lit would be more essential than to a review than anything I have picked up in journalism.

Attach here is a little talk about timing and immediacy of online journalism which made me wonder why journalist become reviewers more often than not in online journalism.
https://soundcloud.com/johnhartfordjr/journalist-vs-critics

No comments:

Post a Comment